Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney


Greg Heffley does not have the perfect life. He’s the middle kid who is terrorized by his older brother and who is always caught in the act when he tries to terrorize his baby brother. Middle school isn’t beginning to work out so hot either. As Greg puts it, “I’ll be famous one day, but for now I’m stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons.”

As the year goes on, Greg gets himself in and out of trouble. He tries to bulk up during his wrestling unit in P.E. His mother forces him to try out for the school production of “The Wizard of Oz” and he ends up being a tree. He gets on and then kicked off of the school safety patrol.

I was introduced to Diary of a Wimpy Kid by being told that it was Captain Underpants for middle school students. Since I wasn’t really familiar with Captain Underpants books (they are more on the elementary level), I didn’t know what to think. What I found when I read the book was pure silliness that was a blast to read.

Greg is a middle school student through and through. He make stupid decisions and is never willing to accept the blame for those decisions. He’s not really good about learning from his mistakes, but many middle school boys aren’t. The cartoons are hilarious and I found several laugh-out-loud moments (which isn’t really great when you are administering a final exam as I was this afternoon). This is another book my 6th grade boys are going to eat up.

On a side note, I’m going to booktalk this book with Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf. I think they will make a great pair.

3 comments:

Camille said...

I loved Meatloaf. I have GOT to read Wimpy Kid.

Paige Y. said...

I must say I liked Meatloaf better but then I'm a female and Wimpy Kid is geared towards boys. I also liked the serious element in Meatloaf that's not present in Wimpy Kid. That said, I think Wimpy Kid is going to be a hit with my 6th grade boys and I'm always looking for something to entice them.

DanielleRocks said...

I am reading that book, and it is awesome