Saturday, June 7, 2014

Saturday Evening Update and Review for 90 Miles to Havana


    I read for about 8 hours and I've spent 2 hours with blogging and social media.  I've only completed 2 books so this isn't my fastest work but I'm just glad to be able to spend some time reading this weekend.  Here's my review for the book I finished this afternoon:

90 Miles to Havana

Enrique Flores-Gallis

2010

Pura Belpre Honor Book


Julian is the youngest of three brothers in Cuba in 1961.  His biggest problem seems to be learning to stand up for himself until the Revolution happens and life is turned upside down.  Julian comes from a fairly well-to-do family (his father builds buildings) and things become difficult for them.  Afraid that her children will be taken away from her, Julian's mother decides to send her boys to America where she promises that they will go to a lovely camp until their parents can join them.  The camp, however, is not lovely -- and the boys are in danger of being separated and sent to different orphanages across the country.  Julian has a lot of growing up to do and in a world that is very foreign to him.
     I liked this book fairly well.  I really felt for Julian and his family.  I did feel that several events were implausible, but this didn't destroy to story for me.  I must admit to knowing very little about the Cuban Revolution, so it was nice to read a book set during this time period.

2 comments:

Liviania said...

Sounds like a good book. I should read more Pura Belpre award winners.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am going to put this on my TBR list. One of my sons is part Cuban so I'd like to learn more about it. This would be a great book for us this summer! Glad to find your blog on this weekend tour. I am a librarian too, but in a community college now (used to be an elementary LMS).