Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Great Green Heist by Varian Johnson



The Great Greene Heist
Varian Johnson
Published May 27, 2014

Quick Summary:  Jackson Greene has said he was finished with schemes and capers.  After all, his last one cost him the girl he cares about plus he now has to have weekly meetings with the principal to make sure he’s staying out of trouble.  But now that very girl needs him.  Gaby is running for Student Council president and Jackson realizes that the boy running against her will stoop to anything in order to win, even getting his father to bribe the principal, Dr. Kelsey.  In order to ensure that Gaby wins, Jackson has to run the biggest caper of his life, and he has to do it without letting Gaby know what’s going on.

 My Thoughts:  This is the first book I've read by Varian Johnson and I really liked it.  The author's notes states The Westing Game was one of Mr. Johnson's inspirations and that was one of the reasons I wanted to read it.  It is a book that will be perfect for my more sophisticated readers.  Much has been written about its diversity, and I was thrilled with both the diverse cast and that no big deal was made of it. This is definitely one I'll be adding to my school collection.

Copy source:  ARC received at nErDcampMI.


No comments: