Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan





Ok, so how do you read this book and not immediately go out and buy the next one? I have it on order for the library so I'm going to try and wait, but it's going to be hard.

Percy is looking forward to another summer at Camp Half-Blood, but on the last day of school, all heck breaks loose. When he gets to camp, he discovers that Thalia's tree, which protects the camp from monsters, is dying. Soon he's off on another quest (which has been officially assigned to Clarisse, who as a daughter of Ares is not his best friend) to find the Golden Fleece which will restore the tree to good health and make the camp at least some-what safe again.

I think that I was perhaps the last librarian on the planet to read this series, and I must say I love it. I'm thinking about buying a copy of The Lightning Thief for each of my sixth grade language arts teachers and begging them to read it out loud when they are doing their Greek myths units. I cannot wait to booktalk it the first week of school.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm so happy to have discovered your site! Reading is like breathing and I've always said that but never realized that Harper Lee said it better. :) Anyway, I do love Percy Jackson. And Titan's Curse is great. It is one of the few books--one of the few series--that I'm always anxious to buy instead of waiting for the library copy.