Sunday, June 7, 2009

48 Hour Reading Challenge -- Final Post

As I said in my opening post, I have wanted to do the 48 hour reading challenge for two years. Two years ago I didn’t have a blog, but I discovered many of the blogs that I read daily through Mother Reader’s challenge. Last year the weekend wasn’t right. This year, it was – thank goodness.

This past month has been one of the most challenging professional months I have had in 20 years of teaching. For various reasons, I was in charge of all end-of-grade testing at my school. I haven’t been able to be a librarian all month, and I have missed it. Being able to spend the weekend doing nothing but reading was incredibly relaxing and just what I needed.

So here are my totals. I read and blogged for 21 hours. I wasn’t great about recording which times were reading and which were blogging but here is what I did:

Friday:
7:15 pm – 10:15 pm

Saturday:
7:45 am – 8:45 am
9:45 am – 10:15 am
10:30 am – 5:00 pm
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
10:10 pm – 10:40 pm

Sunday:
6:00 am – 8:00 am
9:30 am – 11:00 am
1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
5:20 pm – 5:50 pm

In that time I read 9 books:
London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
Leap of Faith by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Bounce by Natasha Friend
Exodus by Julie Bertagna
Edward's Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan
Huge by Sasha Paley
Wake by Lisa McMann
Safe by Susan Shaw

Reading books in a variety of genres helped me keep the pace up -- something I have to remember for next year. I would also like to increase my total reading and blogging time to about 24 hours next year.

Finally, let me say that the hotel was the way to go. I didn’t worry about laundry or cooking dinner, or really anything except reading. Now the only sad part is I have to wait a whole year before the next 48 hour challenge.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

A hotel room. Now that is definitely the way to go!! :-) Congratulations. You did a terrific job.

MotherReader said...

I love that you got a hotel room in allowing yourself the luxury to read. I might have to steal that idea. Great job and thanks for playing!

Mary Lee said...

What a great idea to get a hotel room! Sounds like the 48 hour read was the perfect medicine for a rough end of the school year. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Liyana said...

You're right about the weekend being right this year. Great job, I hope to see you participating again next year!

Jen Robinson said...

Glad that the hotel room thing worked out so well. You read some great books. I find that varying the genres helps me a lot, too. That and not reading anything too long - I need that sense of accomplishment of finishing books to keep me motivated.

I'm still fantasizing about spending a weekend up on the CA coast somewhere, reading on a balcony/deck with a view of the ocean. Maybe one day...

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a great idea to go to a hotel! Congratulations on doing such a great job! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it so much after waiting so long. Can't wait till next year!

Paige Y. said...

The hardest part about reading so many books is knowing that I'll have to wait until fall to booktalk them to my students. That's not so say I'm not ready for summer to get here -- I was ready a few weeks ago! At least I've gotten a great start in on my TBR pile.