Sunday, August 25, 2013

Friends with Boys

Friends with Boys

Faith Erin Hicks
First Second, 2012


Maggie is dealing with a lot in her life right now.  She has three older brothers, a police chief father, and her mother has suddenly abandoned them.  Maggie feels like it’s all her fault.  After all, she’d rather hang out with her brothers than do girly stuff with her mother.  Now her mom is gone and Maggie blames herself.  Maggie has also been homeschooled all her life but she’ll be starting public school at the local high school and she’s scared.  She has no friends except her brothers and they’ll be so busy at school that they won’t have any time for her.  Maggie has one other problem too – she’s haunted.
            For the most part, I really enjoyed Friends with Boys.  I found Maggie to be an interesting character and I liked both her new friends, Lucy and Alistar, and her brothers.  I think the portrayal of high school life was spot-on.  The only part I wasn’t in love with was the ghost story.  I get how it advanced the plot, but I guess I just wanted a school story.  I hope there will be a sequel to the book – I would like to see what happens to Maggie and her brothers.