Friday, August 30, 2013

The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett by Tom Angleberger


Dwight has finally come back to McQuarrie Middle School. Things should be wonderful, but they aren’t.  No sooner does the spring semester start does everyone learn that all of the “fun” teachers (art, band, drama, etc) have been fired so that a new program can be started.  “Fun Time” is designed to help improve test scores, and because the school did poorly last year, the principal will do anything to make sure the school does better this year.
The first thing that Tommy and his friends think of is to ask Origami Yoda what to do.  Origami Yoda says its time to start a rebellion.  But Principal Rabbski is not going to go do without a fight.  Things might get really ugly . . .
Let me just say I love Tom Angleberer for creating this series.  The books are really funny, yet they manage to perfectly capture middle school issues.  Jabba the Puppett exposes the evilness of testing and the pressure it creates for both students and staff.  For years I served as on of the testing coordinators at my school (as well as being the librarian). Each year I found myself comforting sobbing children who had honestly done their best on our End-of-Grade tests and yet not passed.  I hope that by the time I retire, something will be done. 
The only frustrating thing about Jabba the Puppett is that part two won’t be released until spring – I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

No comments: